Field Trip 1: Heavy Sand Trip/Tour Florida
SandFest 2018 will start with a field trip to a heavy sands processing site in Florida. Participants will see the dredging operations and learn about the operations from site preparation through separation processes. MSHA rules are very strict. The following safety equipment is required, so if you do not have all of the required safety equipment, you will not be allowed onto the site:
Thursday, September 20
7:00 am - 11:00 am
(This trip is limited to 24 participants)
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements
- Hard Hat (there will be a few available on site, so if you are flying you may consider taking your chances and hope to get one there)
- Safety Glasses (Z87+)
- Steel Toed Boots
- Tear Away Safety Vest (will be provided at the site)
Other Safety Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Because we must be escorted by company personnel at all times, we must enter all locations as a group and leave all locations as a group. Individuals are not allowed to enter or leave on their own, and unless there is an emergency, you must stay with the group until the entire group leaves.
- We will be driving over loose sand, so 4-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles are required. If you do not have an appropriate vehicle, arrange to carpool with another field trip attendee, or contact us and we will try to arrange a carpool for you.
- We may have to walk on loose sand and muddy areas
- There may be stairs at different areas during the tour
- Participants should be prepared to walk long distances
Hopefully we will be able to collect samples of sand on site, but that has not been confirmed yet.
Heavy sand concentrate, Leo Kenney
Copyright © International Sand Collectors Society, Inc.