Field Trip 3: Biogenic Sand
Field trip attendees will visit a beach where there is a high concentration of organic components, mostly shell fragments, though sea urchin spines, bits of crabs, and even sharks teeth have been found in this sand.
Saturday, September 22
8:15 am - 9:00 am
Fees: This location has a day use fee of $4 to $6 dollars per vehicle with a limit of 8 people per vehicle.
Note: This location opens at 8:00, so please be there early and proceed to the meeting location as soon as you get there so we can start promptly at 8:15.
Because of weather and water levels, this trip may be cancelled or changed to an alternate location, or we may not be able to collect once we reach the site.
Field trip directions will be included in your conference packet. We will meet at the parking area at this site. You may leave when you are ready, though if you have extra time, you may want to visit some of the historic sites in the area before returning to the conference.
- There is a boardwalk to the beach for about 200 feet
- There is an additional walk of about 200 feet on loose and wet sand to the best collecting area
Beach Collecting Supplies
- Zip Top Bags or Jars with Tight Fitting Lids
- Sharpie for Writing on Bags
- Small Hand Shovel
- Paint Scraper for Thin Layer of Heavies
- Clothing Suitable for Beaches
- Footwear Suitable for Beaches
- Water (it will be HOT out there)
- Backpack for Carrying Supplies and Specimens
Copyright © International Sand Collectors Society, Inc.