Field Trip 4: In situ Workshops
We are taking workshops outdoors and straight to the source. Field trip attendees will visit 2 locations where we will learn about dunes, beach formations, sand oddities, etc.
Sunday, September 23
1:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Fees: The first location has a day use fee of $4 to $5 dollars per vehicle with a limit of 8 people per vehicle.
At the second location we will see heavy metal sands so it will be a great introduction to Monday's field trip.
Because of weather and water levels, either or both of these trips may be cancelled or changed to an alternate location, or, if we proceed as planned, we may not be able to collect once we reach the sites, but we may still be able to see some dunes and other beach features.
Field trip directions will be included in your conference packet. We will meet at a parking area at each site. The second location is an hour and a half away from the first location. You may attend the trip to one site but not the other if you wish. Participants may choose to spend the night near the second location rather than returning to Jacksonville as there are many interesting things there, and it will be the about the same time and distance from there to the Monday field trip as it would be from Jacksonville.
- There is a boardwalk to the beach for about 600 feet, than only a few more feet on sand to the best collecting area
- This site also has pavilions where we may set up microscopes to look at sand we have collected as part of the workshop activities. The pavilions are handicap accessible and have restroom facilities.
Beach Collecting Supplies
- Zip Top Bags or Jars with Tight Fitting Lids
- Sharpie for Writing on Bags
- Small Hand Shovel
- Paint Scraper for Thin Layer of Heavies
- Clothing Suitable for Beaches
- Footwear Suitable for Beaches
- Water (it will be HOT out there)
- Backpack for Carrying Supplies and Specimens
Copyright © International Sand Collectors Society, Inc.