Field Trip 5: Heavy Sand Trip/Tour Georgia
SandFest 2018 will end with a field trip to a heavy sands processing site in Georgia. Participants will see the dredging operations as well as separation processes. MSHA rules are very strict. The following safety equipment is required, so if you do not have all of the required safety equipment, you will not be allowed onto the site:
Monday, September 24
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements
- Hard Hat (there will be a few available on site, so if you are flying you may consider taking your chances and hope to get one there)
- Safety Glasses (GMS will provide these)
- Sturdy shoes. No open toes! Boots are preferred
- High visibility, reflective vests (GMS will provide these)
- Long pants
Other Safety Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Because we must be escorted by company personnel at all times, we must enter all locations as a group and leave all locations as a group. Individuals are not allowed to enter or leave on their own, and unless there is an emergency, you must stay with the group until the entire group leaves.
- We will be driving over loose sand, so 4-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles are recommended, but not required.
- We will be driving from one location to another with up to an hour between locations, so be sure to fill up before the trip
- Some locations may not be able to handle a lot of vehicles, so we can meet at the office separately, but then we must consolidate into as few vehicles as possible.
- We may have to walk on loose sand and muddy areas
- There may be stairs at different areas during the tour
- Participants should be prepared to walk long distances
- To simplify logistics and to keep costs down, we decided not to provide lunch during the trip, so please bring a lunch and snacks with you.
We will be able to collect various samples of sand including raw ore, heavy mineral concentrate, plus the separated minerals: zircon, rutile, ilmenite, leucoxene, monazite, xenotime, and possibly some staurolite.
Heavy sand concentrate, Leo Kenney
Copyright © International Sand Collectors Society, Inc.